Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1925 Willys-Overland no start
10-18-2017, 04:45 AM,
RE: 1925 Willys-Overland no start
So what is the proper starting procedure for one of these? It has both advance and throttle on the steering wheel. We actually got a hint of firing today, thought maybe "operator error" with my starting could be an issue too.
Thanks everyone,
Adam
10-18-2017, 06:41 AM,
Adam, once the timing is set up, the advance lever should be about 1/3 to 1/2 in the retard position, however, given the slop in the housing this could be a matter of trial and error. Another option is to try full advance and see if it kicks back on the starter, then retard from that point. Does the hand throttle appear to work? have someone watch the carburettor end, while the throttle lever is being used. Alternatively just use the foot accelerator about 1/3 open. If none of this works re check the timing, as you are aware fibre gears can strip on their bosses and move enough to throw the timing out. There's a regular contributor Mike Roetter Snr who has the similar Whippet 93A and if he reads this he may be able to supply more accurate starting drill.
10-18-2017, 08:21 PM,
John, the hand throttle does work. We're going to try that procedure this morning.. keep your fingers crossed!
10-21-2017, 11:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-21-2017, 11:28 PM by Bluecollar.)
To all the good folks who offered their help and knowledge concerning our customer's Willys-Overland, I thank you! After resetting the timing (under the floor!), and simply tightening the clamp on the distributor (that was the "wobble"), she fired and ran fantastic! We're installing the freshly rebuilt Stewart vacuum canister and hope to have her running off her own tank again shortly. Couldn't have gotten here without all of your thoughts, ideas, and info. I will strongly recommend my customer join your club!
All the best,
Adam
Blue Collar Restorations
10-22-2017, 03:21 AM,
Adam, have you got vacuum tank info? John.
11 hours ago,
John, what info do you need? I picked up a rebuild kit from http://www.classicpreservation.com. Nice guy and nice kit with detailed instructions. We did the rebuild in-house. Let me know if I can be of more help.
Adam
5 hours ago,
No Adam, I just wondered if you needed any info on the vacuum tank or carburettor as I have some. John.
3 hours ago,
Thanks John. Should have figured. I was surprised at how much is actually out there on that type of system. Customer picked up today and was thrilled! This was a nice change from our more "modern" projects. Thanks again for your help John. We couldn't have done it without all the info you shared.
Adam