Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1917 overland touring car
01-09-2019, 11:47 PM,
1917 overland touring car
I'm thinking about buying 1917 overland touring car it has a senior from Hershey from 1981. Does any one know the value its been sitting 10 years .I don't know how to tell if it model 85 or 90. the rear or trans is leaking.I don't know if I drive it the seals will swell up thank  you for any help
John.
01-11-2019, 01:41 AM,
RE: 1917 overland touring car
Go to the members only part of the forum, and click on NEWSLETTERS, you should be able to check what people are asking, back as far as February 2017. There's a mid teens tourer for sale in the latest one.
01-11-2019, 05:14 PM,
My earlier 83 trans-axle was used on models before mine and a little while after, so if its the same construction oil leakage from the axle tubes is normal as the oil from the gearbox overfills the axle by migrating slowly through the pinion bearing and causing leakage from drain holes in the axle tubes and the felt seals wouldn't stop leakage if overfilled. On this type of trans-axle there are two simple ways of stopping the gearbox oil overfilling the axle, one is to renew the pinion bearing with a new sealed bearing or machine the gearbox to take an oil seal. The idiot that tried to stop oil leakage from my axle by adding large amounts of grease only succeeded in seizing the gearbox, damaging the crown wheel-pinion and diff on a very low milage car, what ever oil you use it must be fluid enough to flow, so leaking oil may be a good sign that nobody has neglected things.
01-12-2019, 01:16 AM,
(01-11-2019, 01:41 AM)John Stokes Wrote: Go to the members only part of the forum, and click on NEWSLETTERS, you should be able to check what people are asking, back as far as February 2017. There's a mid teens tourer for sale in the latest one.

I did look at the newsletters
thank you
01-12-2019, 01:18 AM,
(01-11-2019, 05:14 PM)David Bliss Wrote: My earlier 83 trans-axle was used on models before mine and a little while after, so if its the same construction oil leakage from the axle tubes is normal as the oil from the gearbox overfills the axle by migrating slowly through the pinion bearing and causing leakage from drain holes in the axle tubes and the felt seals wouldn't stop leakage if overfilled. On this type of trans-axle there are two simple ways of stopping the gearbox oil overfilling the axle, one is to renew the pinion bearing with a new sealed bearing or machine the gearbox to take an oil seal. The idiot that tried to stop oil leakage from my axle by adding large amounts of grease only succeeded in seizing the gearbox, damaging the crown wheel-pinion and diff on a very low milage car, what ever oil you use it must be fluid enough to flow, so leaking oil may be a good sign that nobody has neglected things.

thank you
Do  you know how to tell if this car is a model 85 or 90
01-12-2019, 05:17 AM,
On the 83 the chassis number begins with TRH 83 then the number so its a Tourer right hand drive and engine is stamped 83 with engine number and on one engine bearer both model and chassis numbers are stamped, if the previous owner was a WOKR member look in the roster, find the models and see if a name shows for a model you are guessing at, if you have access to the car just find the stamped numbers not any raised cast lettering and again look in the roster to get the details right if its listed.